Memo to: Sarah “The Quitter” Palin
From: Jim A.
RE: Hopey Changey Stuff
Sarah! Regarding your query:
Actually, in the end it’s kinda worked out pretty good. Herewith, a few things that affected me directly or that I thought were significant:
- my IRA, which I hope to actually use someday, has more than doubled in value since its nadir in 2009. That’s without any new deposits whatsoever since the end of 2009. (The stock market has tripled from its 2009 low, all during the Obama years.)
- We have marriage equality in the United States now, fully supported by Obama. I can get married if I find the right guy. Wow.
- LGBT men and women can now openly serve in the US Military, i.e. “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” is history, so if you’re queer and want to be a soldier, you can go sign up.
- Obama ended the 2008 Great Recession and prevented a Depression.
- Obama saved the U.S. Auto Industry.
- The Obama administration cut the unemployment rate in half since 2009.
- I’ve been able to get and pay for health insurance because of the ACA, because of Obamacare.
- Obama opened up relations with Cuba. Finally someone did the reasonable thing.
- Obama terminated our enemy, Osama bin Laden.
- Obama stopped deporting DREAMERS, which hugely benefits our country and economy.
that’s just a sampling, and there’s so so so much more! Here’s a long list with citations. I’ll miss the grace and wit and the lack of drama at the top. I wish our President and his family only the best as they find their footing in their new lives as citizens.